Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sharing God's Love

We have a team here this week and they have been working on some projects to help improve the orphanage. They have made the children some swings, put together many parts and pieces to make 4 bicycles, are working on shelving for the childrens' rooms and the storage room, etc. They have also enjoyed playing with and getting to know the children as well as holding a men's conference last night and this evening for some of the men in the community. I can hear them worshipping over at the church right now as I type these words. After the conference tonight, they will be fed a chicken dinner.





They have been keeping busy, as have I, and I have not been able to spend a lot of time with them over the last three days. On Tuesday afternoon, our precious Jerry (10 years old but very small for his age) fell and broke his arm. That afternoon, I took him to Doctors without Borders and spent a loooooong time there. They are doing great things there and help many people ... but honestly, it is a very difficult place to be. I had a tough time being there alone with him and finally had my breakdown when I returned to the orphanage that evening. In the bed next to him was a woman who had been beaten ... next to her were two children who had been severly burned. It was heart-breaking. Jerry was scared and having a tough time, but I gave him loads of love and held him tight as much as I possibly could. :) I thanked God many times throughout the day that I was able to be there ... and that I took a few years of Spanish way back when because that is how I was able to communicate with the doctor ...


That next morning (yesterday), we took Jerry to Sacred Heart Hospital to have surgery. This hospital is quite amazing for Haiti and very much like a hospital in the states. It was a nice change! The surgeon made a small incision in his arm and put in two pins. In a few weeks, I will take him back and they will be removed. He did GREAT and was a very brave boy all day yesterday! Since the surgery was a little later in the day, we were unable to take him home and he spent the night in the hospital ... Jonas stayed with him. I went back this morning to pick him up and meet with the doctor again. He said everything went so well and that Jerry is doing fabulous. We are thrilled with the success and ask that you keep little Jerry in your prayers as his arm begins to heal and become strong again.



Now that Jerry is back at the orphanage, he is getting a whole lot of attention from all of the children as well as the adults. Earlier, he came upstairs with a handful of suckers and a big smile on his face :). He slept in my room last night and believes he is again tonight ... which is fine by me. Jerry had a special place in my heart long before his injury, but now ... Mama Shelly loves him like I love my own. He's a special guy, that's for sure. Again, please pray for a full and quick recovery for Jerry. The doctor said that he shouldn't have any pain and that he should heal quickly. And believe me, we'll be keeping an eye on him. I am SO thankful to have been here when this happened ... and Jerry, a precious little orphan boy, had two mamas to be there for him and to love on him.










1 comment:

Eric Sorrell said...

This is an amazing blog and ministry. I've just stumbled upon it and I look forward to reading more about the great work God is doing. May God continue to bless you all.

P.S. Awesome Photographs.