Friday, July 17, 2009

On a Mountain Top

This afternoon, we went to the top of the mountain ... okay, more like a large hill ... that overlooks The Habitat. We hadn't been up this way before and the view was great!



There's just somethin about being somewhere with a view like this. The mountains ... in all their majesty ... proclaim God's majesty like nothing else.


We even me at few little friends along the way :)


Earlier that afternoon, as we were waiting to leave for our little adventure, one of the nannies came up to me with another who speaks English quite well. She was hiding somewhat behind the other nanny ... I asked them if they needed something and the English-speaking one told me that the other needed money for a tap-tap ride (somewhat taxi-ish) home. She had no money. I nodded and asked her how much it would cost ... and was told "ten goudes."
Ten goudes.
In the U.S., that is equal to 25 cents.
25 cents and she was sheepishly coming to me, asking for help.
I went upstairs and grabbed a few coins, counting them on my way down. I had grabbed 20 goudes. I handed them to her in two piles of 10 goudes, counting to two and showing her it was enough for two rides. She literally bowed to me and got all teary-eyed "mezi mama, mezi mama Shelly." You would have thought that I had given her a thousand dollars.
These are the moments that break my heart, yet the very moments I treasure.





No comments: